03 December 2003
Saudi authorities said they have arrested a suspect in last month's suicide bombing in Riyadh that killed 17 people and wounded more than 100 others.
According to Saudi officials, the arrest followed a raid last week of the suspect's hideout where police found an arsenal of weapons, including surface-to-air missiles, rocket-propelled grenade launchers, assault rifles and other arms and ammunition.
Saudi officials said Wednesday the arrest was the first in connection with the November 8 terrorist attack in a housing compound in the capital Riyadh.
The suspect's name and nationality have not been released.
Announcement of his arrest comes one day after U.S. and British authorities in Riyadh issued warnings of further possible attacks on western housing compounds in Saudi Arabia.
Security measures were intensified around residential compounds in the capital Wednesday including the Seder compound, which authorities said had been under surveillance by terrorist elements.